Style: Crusty black metal
Thoughts: Man I wanted to like this album. It's so easily digestible and likable on first listen. The riffs flow so nicely and just meld into each other nearly perfectly. The d-beat is integrated so well and it all just works... until it doesn't.
Spirit Crusher is is the black metal/punk equivalent of lite beer. It's nice and tastes refreshing... until you try a real one. Then all the redeeming qualities of the music seem hollow and are simply not as appealing anymore.
The riffs here are great for a time but they wear out their welcome. The punk elements are great but sometimes overused and drag the song down. The song length is over ten minutes per track and the songs end up meandering back and fourth between different riffs and ideas without any real direction. The album feels more like a collection of riffs that are strung together rather than songs with an overarching plan. The individual moments are fine for what they are, but they feel like there are two to three songs in each song rather than one long track loosely tying them all together.
Spirit Crusher is not a bad album per see, it's just not something that I will find myself exploring very often. I find the music to be great for a few moments then I end up turning it off because I lose interest or I'm reminded of another album I would rather listen to. The band may be on to something here but at this point it's not something I will come back to much.

No comments:
Post a Comment