Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Entry 1567 - Dunkel - Evighet


Style: black metal, dungeon synth

Primary Emotions/Themes: the night

Thoughts: Ever feel like you missed a classic? I certainly have had that feeling from time to time. That feeling rises once again with Dunkel's one and only demo Evighet. 

In simple terms this is a slow black metal release that relies heavily on keyboards. Of course simple descriptions have hardly ever been my forte when it comes to music so this will hardly do. 

Dunkel plays with two dominant styles on this twenty minute demo. The first of these is a slow, deliberate black metal that exceeds in a brooding atmosphere and an almost oppressive riff structure. The songs are intentional with every note and are delivered at a pace where everything is allowed to sink in fully before the next wave of notes hits. It's not overly complex, nor is it overly vicious, but it more than makes up for that with its excellent melodies and atmosphere. 

The second of these phases is what we now call dungeon synth. Keyboards playing near ambient level melodic structures that call to mind the cold of a bleak winters night. The kind of stuff that you would be listening to in your final moments before the cold finally takes you. Excellent stuff.

I love doing deep dives in music, and that is how I came across Evighet. The cover stood out to me so I gave it a listen. It turned out to be fantastic. The process reminded me quite a bit of going through old CD and record bins to find hidden gems, simply looking at album covers while scrolling through a distro's offering instead. It's rare to find something good, but when you do it certainly feels worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entry 1567 - Dunkel - Evighet

Style: black metal, dungeon synth Primary Emotions/Themes: the night Thoughts: Ever feel like you missed a classic? I certainly have had tha...