Friday, August 7, 2026

Entry 1584 - Spectral Castle - I Remain...


Style: dungeon synth

Thoughts: I went through a lot to get this album. I tried to get it through a disto in my country only to be told it was out of stock. Tried to get it from the artist themselves only to be told that their distro in my country was no longer doing anything. Finally I found it at a distributor in Europe and imported it. Was it worth it? I would like to think so.

Spectral Castle's I Remain... is largely played by one type of synth. This synth is one that I have heard before but do not know what it is called. It has a distant sound to it, a lonely sound. It sounds like it was recorded many years ago, and we're merely hearing the distant memories of someone long passed.

Simple melodies are played on this synth. Simple melodies accompanied by full chord backing. In true dungeon synth style these melodies and chords are repeated many times before progressing. The whole affair is so simple, yet so entirely elegant that I can't help but love it.

I've heard music that is more complex than this. I've heard music that has way more depth to it than this. I have not heard much music that is as well done and as nice to listen to as this. Spectral Castle has tapped into elegance through simplicity. 

All this album is is notes played on a synth over and over again, yet somehow I can't bring myself to not like it. I finish the album and immediately flip it over to start again. The beauty of this album is in that simplicity. The gracefulness of the album is revealed to those who would listen with an open ear and open mind. Truly this is one of the finer dungeon synth albums in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entry 1585 - Old Sorcery - Realms of Magickal Sorrow

Style: classic dungeon synth Thoughts: Old Sorcery is the project that got me back into dungeon synth after decades. It reminded me of a gen...