Style: black metal
Thoughts: I think I misjudged this band. My first exposure to them was their latest album Uranium. That album - while good - didn't do much in the way of making me want to listen to it more. I have since heard some of their earlier albums, and while they retain the style of the new album there is a life and a misery here that was lacking in in the newest offering.
Monventum is another earlier album that maintains the quality that I have heard from other albums. This album much like their other early works fully harnesses the German language to portray a dismal look at life in the industrial revolution.
The riffs meet this lack of joy on an intimate level. They have a lot of energy to them, but it's a nervous energy - like something horrible is going to happen; like a mine collapsing on top of you. There is also a sorrow... no a resignation within these notes. They are played as if this is the entirety of someones existence, simply a cog in the machine of human existence. Fated to die an early death from the toxins found in the mines.
This is the kind of album that is difficult to quantify. On one end it's just black metal, with great vocals, good but mostly standard riffing, and decent enough song writing prowess. On the other hand there is this desperation and resignation in the music that makes it stand apart from the average black metal album.
Dauþuz remains an enigma to me. This music shouldn't be as good as it is, especially on their first three albums, yet here I am enjoying this way more than I would have thought. It may not be something that I would spin as often as my black metal staples but man, they sure have impressed me more than I thought they would.

No comments:
Post a Comment