Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Entry 1638 - Super Mario World + Extras


Style: video game music

Thoughts: Well here is something I never thought would happen: an official Mario World release with a bunch of extra stuff. I didn't ever think that an official release of this would come out in any capacity. It's crazy that Nintendo would decide to press this at all... in fact the roots of the bootleg scene come from a want and desire to listen to Nintendo music on vinyl. Now Nintendo is starting the process of making that scene irrelevant with this and other releases. 

So this release is much more than just the Mario World soundtrack. There is a full jazz arrangement album on the first disc and selections from Mario 2 and 3 on the second before we get into the full soundtrack in the final disc. 

There's not much more to say about this. It's a fantastic soundtrack. One of the best on the SNES. One of the best in all of chip tune history, and now it's in my collection. The extra stuff is nice but not required. I don't know how much I'm going to be listening to the jazz album, but I am very glad to have it regardless.

I want Nintendo to lean into this type of physical media more. There is absolutely a market for it, and I will purchase every album that I have a strong connection with... hint - that's a lot. Super Nintendo was a formative thing in my youth and these tunes bring strong positive memories with them. I need more of that in my life and if Nintendo is willing to oblige I will certainly throw my money at them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entry 1640 - Nahtrunar- Hrima

Style: black metal with folk influences Thoughts: There are points when I'm writing about my collection where I feel like I made a mista...