Style: video game music, breakbeat, drum n bass
Thoughts: Maybe I misunderstood what Astrophysics was. I though they were a breakbeat/drum n bass project that had an anime aesthetic. Instead the stuff that I've heard is a combination of goth rock with some light drum n bass elements. It's taken me a while to wrap my head around this.
Hope Left Me is supposedly a soundtrack to a game. How this is accomplished I don't know. This sounds like a fully fledged album to me. Songs that are designed to be played on their own. Well defined tracks that blend into each other. I'm actually pretty curious to see how this is pulled off in the game because this does not show any of the tell tale signs of being a game soundtrack.
In terms of what Hope Left Me offers is exactly as described above: goth rock with some minor drum n bass elements. The basis sounds like something Fields of the Nephilim or Sisters of Mercy would write in the 80's. Clean guitars with simple one note riffs played over and over. The vocals are vocoded and every now and then we get a glimpse into the more electronic side with synth leads and drum n bass patterns. Sometimes everything mixes together, sometimes it doesn't That is Hope Left Me in a nutshell.
I'm not sure what I think of the album to be completely honest. It feels like there is some cool ideas here, I just am not sure I like the execution. That said I am curious enough to come back and re-listen. In experience that is typically a great sign for me liking an album in the long term. We'll just have to wait and see with Hope Left Me.

No comments:
Post a Comment