Saturday, September 26, 2026

Entry 1634 - Evilfeast - Funeral Sorcery


Style: black metal

Thoughts: Evilfeast is a curious band for me. When they are good they are nearly unstoppable. I love their combination of ambient and black metal. They do it in a such a way that only some of the best in the genre do when they are at their best.

When they are not though the band is a bit of a struggle to get through. Funeral Sorcery is a bit of a mixed bag for me. When they incorporate keyboards and the aforementioned ambient moments the music is at its absolute best on this album. When they do not though, the simplistic black metal riffs that go on for ages are a bit hard for me to truly enjoy. 

It's not that the riffs are bad, or that they are poorly written... it's just that they overstay their welcome. These songs are long, the shortest being 7 minutes long... and they are not a riff fest either. There are maybe two to three main themes per song. That means that they go on for quite some time before the song progresses to something new. 

Now when a band does this repetitive riff structure there is a right way to do it. It has to draw me in and completely entrance me with the melody and/or rhythm. When this is done right (see Mgla) I'm completely enamored. It's some of the best stuff in the genre. When it is not done right though I'm often bored and want to move on to another release. 

Funeral Sorcery walks that line like a tight rope. Some of the album is incredible to listen to, it draws me in and I want the riff to go on for fifteen minutes. Other times it is too simplistic or doesn't grab me. I just want to the song to progress further. Unfortunately these two concepts are given equal time, and it ends up being a mixed experience for me.

I wish I could get into all of this album like I can with some of their later albums, but it's just not for me. The negative aspects make up nearly half the album and there is simply too much black metal out there for me to spend that amount of time on an hour long album that I only enjoy thirty minutes of.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Entry 1635 - Deaf Center - Pale Ravine

Pale Ravine (Bonus Edition) by Deaf Center Style: ambient, modern classical  Thoughts: I really need to find out the name of this genre. T...