Style: classic dungeon synth, modern classical
Thoughts: My deep dive into dungeon synth continues. This trek has been one of the most fulfilling and enriching that I have had in my musical discoveries over the years. It's not only the amount of artist that I am finding, but the consistent quality amongst these lesser known acts that continuously impresses me.
When I think of classic dungeon synth, Death's Oldest Songs fits nearly every expectation I have. The songs are slow, methodical and epic in scope. They have a dark and foreboding tone, and they sound like they could be the soundtrack to an epic movie from years before. This is exactly the feel that I get from the Vetus Supulcrum album.
These ten songs contain miniature epics that extol death, glorify battle, and revel in the ancient ritual that is warfare. I can't overstate how much is packed into these three to four minute songs. Every bit of filler is cut out, and they deliver some of the strongest music in the classical influenced dungeon synth realm that I've heard.
These songs don't bother with long intros, they get straight to the point. The horns carry most of the weight, creating a dense and ominous atmosphere throughout the entire album. Sometimes percussion and violins will be added in for extra tension, but it really is the brass - especially the lower brass like tubas and bassoons - that carry the album. They give the album it's militaristic feel without resorting to every song being a march.
This album came out of no where for me. It was super cheap and I threw it in based only on the genre descriptors for the album. I truly wish to explore this project more, I feel like I've stumbled into a part of the dungeon synth genre that is less explored than I would like. This miniature epic composition style is incredible and I feel like my collection is better for having this album in it.

No comments:
Post a Comment