Style: video game music, modern classical, dark ambient
Thoughts: My journey through this massive soundtrack continues. We are now in the thick of it. We have passed through the open fields as well as the towns that litter the landscape. We now delve into the depths, the caves, the dungeons of Hyrule.
In Breath of the Wild this was some of my least favorite music in the game. Sure it fit with the tense moments of combat, but listening to it on it's own was not really fun nor something I sought out after a casual first listen.
With this record however, the selection is handled much better. The music gets that deep dark feel that going into the depths gives you. It also captures the tension of the lack of light and the unknown that comes with it. The battle music is still included, but it feels like it flows better this time than the previous record set I had.
A majority of this record is essentially the opposite of what the first record in this set was. Instead of wandering around planes and fields we are exploring the unknown, the dark. Instead of ambience we have dark ambience and the minimalism that goes with it. This is no longer a whimsical frolic, this is a tense exploration where danger lurks around every corner.
To be honest I did not expect to like this record in the set as much as I do. I was worried about the combat music and that it would ruin it. It does not, in fact it acts as a nice contrast to the minimalist ambience of the remainder of the record. Three for three so far, this record set easily lives up to the legacy of Zelda music so far.

No comments:
Post a Comment