Style: experimental fuckery
Thoughts: Sacrifice is not an album I would recommend. Sacrifice is an album that takes the conventions of music and destroys the outright. There is no logic to these sounds, there is no cadence to the beats, there is nothing but chaos, destruction, and a complete disregard for the listeners enjoyment of the album... and that is exactly what makes Sacrifice one of the best albums of the last ten to fifteen years.
My journey with this album has been... testy at best. When I first heard it I quickly dismissed it as a dumb stupid moronic mess. There was nothing for my brain to grab on to. There was no structure, there was absolutely nothing conventional about the album at all. I listened for about five minutes and my brain gave up and I moved on to other music to cleanse.
Well... I tried to move on. I found myself thinking about what I had heard. Kept going back to why I reacted the way I did. Why was my reaction so visceral, so instinctual? The more I thought about it the more I wanted to go back and try to power through the album, just to say I did.
So I did.
My second reaction to the album was very much like the first: I hated it. I hated what my ears were listening to, and I could not comprehend what was happening. This time though I stayed with it. I made it through the entire album without turning it off. I was done, and with it I was done with the album.
Or was I?
Here's the thing. When I find an album that I don't know if I like or not, I am fascinated by it. I want to dissect every part of it and make sure that I can form a true opinion rather than staying in the nebulous "I don't know" region. This is very much in the state I found myself with for Sacrifice... I had to listen again.
So. I. Did.
Now I kind of knew what was coming so I didn't have the visceral negative reaction anymore. I had started to acclimate. What I found was an album that didn't want any part of me listening to it. It was chopped up and screwed together in ways that I had never heard before. Why would someone do this? Why would someone create music so hard to listen to? These questions fascinated me and made me want to listen more.
SoIDid
Now the music was no longer creating a negative reaction... now it was curiosity. What was going on here? Why are these notes put together like this? Why? Why? WHY? I didn't know, and I don't think part of me wanted to know but I was compelled to listen more.
SOIDID
Now I craved the music. It's deep disregard for every convention that I had ever known. It's hatred of the listener and how it tried to force me away. How every single fiber in my being was appalled by what was going on in my speakers... yet I was still here. What on earth was happening to me? It was no longer a need of wanting to listen anymore, I needed to listen. I needed to dissect the album more. It became an obsession.
The off meter timing of the beats. The harsh production. The noise. The brief moments of melody replaced by appalling sounds. It was all there, but none of it was giving me a negative reaction anymore. It was calling me deeper into the fold. I was beyond obsession. I needed this album and it needed nothing in return. Nothing... nothing...
Nothing is real. Sacrifice thyself.

No comments:
Post a Comment